Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Song Countdown #6 - Silent Night

So you may laugh or giggle at my choice for Silent Night, but since I couldn't capture my family singing it every Christmas eve, this version will have to do.  There are much more beautiful versions out there like Josh Groban and other artists, but this version captures my heart.  I love how they open up in German (the original language for this song).  I love John Denver's brief narrative of how Silent Night became a Christmas Carol.  And finally I love the verse they sing in English and how they close.  It still gets me a little choked up at the end when I hear them all wish each other a "Merry Christmas" while the music is still playing.  It captures what Christmas spirit looks like.  Because God loved us so much, He sent His son to live here so that one day we can know Him and live in peace with Him forever.  And because of that, we should wish everyone a Merry Christmas and do it with sincerity.  It gets me teary-eyed just thinking about it writing this post.

As the great philosopher Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that."

Merry Christmas!

Silent Night
by John Denver & the Muppets

No comments:

Post a Comment