Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas Song Countdown: #24 Sleigh Ride

I think everyone who ever played in a middle school or high school band played this song at some point in their lifetime.  I was a trumpet player and fondly remember playing this song for our Christmas concert back then.  I've always loved the orchestral version of this song.  Granted, I've nver lived anywhere where you can actually take a sleigh ride at Christmastime, but I have seen a few white Christmases in my life (once in GA in 2010 and a few in Pennsylvania visiting my grandparents).  Despite that, the actual lyrics to this song really don't do much for me other than being familiar and fun to sing when the versions with vocals come on the radio.  I love the tune, rhythm and instrumentation of this song.  The bells playing throughout the background are a constant reminder of Christmastime, the rhythm of the song - made well by great percussion - does make it feel you are riding on something driven by a horse, and the upbeat brass and strings just make for a lively song.  I hope you enjoy this version as much as I have through the years.

Sleigh Ride
by Boston Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment