Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas Song Countdown: #23 Little Drummer Boy

Growing up "Little Drummer Boy" was always popular among my peer as I believe it usually is among kids.  However, I never really loved this song growing up.  I was always more fond of carols like "O Come all Ye Faithful" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing".  I knew I needed to include this song in my list due to its powerful message.  A friend from work recommended a great version of this song several years back by Bob Seger, and that version opened my eyes and ears to the power of this song.  You may notice that my first repeat artist in this list is Josh Groban - and he may have one more song before its said and done.

When I heard Josh Groban's version of "Little Drummer Boy", it finally helped me to realize the true meaning of this song.  Its powerful crescendos emphasize what this song is about, and it tells us that no matter what gifts God has given us, we need to bring them to our King.  We need to give our best to Jesus.  Did the babe in the manger really need to hear the boy playing his drum?  Maybe, maybe not.  But the boy was obedient by going to his Lord and Savior and worshiping him by doing his very best - playing his drum with all his ability and might.  Its a simple and powerful message that we can apply today.  So this Christmas, are you bringing your best gifts to our King?

May this song speak to your heart today.

Little Drummer Boy
by Josh Groban.


No comments:

Post a Comment