Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Song Countdown #1: O Come All Ye Faithful

This had to be my final song in the countdown.  On so many levels its my favorite Christmas Carol.  I remember growing up it was my grandfather's favorite English Christmas Carol.  His baritone voice was perfect for this song.  I also have fond memories of singing this song in latin in church and with family "Adeste Fideles".  The chorus of the song, "O come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord", is what today and tomorrow is all about.  I love the third verse, "...Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing" (From John 1:14).

While this carol is familiar to most, I suspect you may not be familiar with this version.  I did not choose a typical choir version or tenor soloist like Josh Groban or Andrea Bocelli.  While those versions are absolutely beautiful - actually any version of this song is beautiful - Chris Tomlin's ability to lead a group of people into worship is amazing.  He turns a traditional carol that we've song thousands of times and by the end of this song, I'm in a sense of worship of my Lord and Savior.  "We'll praise Your name forever, We'll praise Your name forever..."  I love how he finishes with that.  It reminds me that those of us in Christ will one day praise His name forever - like my grandfather.  I also love how you can hear the other voices singing in the background, thus adding to the corporate worship feel to this song.

I hope you've enjoyed this countdown.  If you've missed any other songs in the countdown, you can see the entire list here.

Merry Christmas!  May it be your most blessed one yet!

O Come All Ye Faithful
by Chris Tomlin



No comments:

Post a Comment