Sunday, February 21, 2010

Raised to walk in newness of life...

"Buried with Christ in Baptism. 
 Raised to walk in newness of life."
This is what our pastors at our church say while they baptize a fellow brother or sister in Christ  through Believer's Baptism.  I was blessed to experience Believer's baptism on September 20, 2009 when my wife's cousin baptized myself, my wife and two oldest sons.  I was convicted during a bible study over the summer of the book of Acts.  Chapter 19 describes the acts Paul and his disciples performed while visiting Ephesus (one of my favorite letters of Paul is his epistle to the Ephesians).
  Acts 19:1-7 (New International Version)
1While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?"
      They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." 3So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?"
      "John's baptism," they replied.
 4Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 6When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. 7There were about twelve men in all.
 This passage and the subsequent discussion following it convicted me.  I had experienced infant Baptism growing up Catholic.  However, I had not yet professed my faith in Christ publicly through Believer's Baptism.  What has made me relive this experience in my life today, was that I just witnessed the daughter of one our friends profess her faith publicly through Believer's Baptism at our church.  I sit right now typing this blog to you from a hotel room in Washington DC preparing for a business meeting.  I got to witness this online - I love technology!  Seven words the pastor said made me reflect on my own faith journey.


"Raised to walk in newness of life"


Sometimes we don't see our own progress or the work God has done in our lives when we look at things with a short term perspective.  When I step back and reflect, I can remember where I was, living in sin, living for myself only, for my gain only - I had built an altar to "Karl" (i.e. myself).  Then I think about that day 2/3 of my family was Baptized in Christ.  When I was raised up from that water, soaking wet - it represented not only my internal decision to invite Jesus as the Lord of my life, but it also was true that I had a new life.  When I turned my life over to Christ, everything changed immediately, but it wasn't always evident.  I was no longer going to  run my own life by choice, but some of my behavior had not yet changed.  By the time I was obedient to God and professed my faith in Believer's Baptism, it was very clear how much God has changed me.  


See, when we trust in Christ, God sends the Holy Spirit down - just like the Bible says.  While we may not literally speak in tongues like they did in the days of Paul, we may sound like we're speaking in tongues to those who knew the "old us".  We appear to be doing miraculous works by repenting of our old ways and sins and trusting in God to lead us through his son, our Savior Jesus Christ.  I don't ever want to go back to the old self, to relive those old days, but I am so grateful I experienced all those things.  I wouldn't be where I am today without it.


Before Christ, I was consumed by guilt, fear, lust, greed and alcohol.  I was self-centered and my life was unmanageable.  


Since May 23, 2007, I've been sober.  I have peace, happiness, joy and a relationship with Him. I truly want what I have in life.


If God can do that in me...imagine what He can do for you?   You just have to do one thing...trust in His son, Jesus and ask him to be your Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment