Saturday, February 13, 2010

Turning towards Him

Everyday in my walk, I try to spend my first few minutes with God.  A very effective way to do this, I have found, is to have a daily devotional reading to guide me.  Today's reading went as such:


Isaiah 30:19-21 (New International Version)


 19 O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. 20 Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. 21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."
I can completely relate to this passage.  What brought me ultimately to follow Christ - addiction and that my life was completely unmanageable - forced me to "cry for help" as it says in verse 19.  What the prophet Isaiah says God will do was true for me, "As soon as he hears, he will answer you".  When I said to God, "Okay God, I obviously cannot run my own life, you take it, its all yours", I let go of my white-knuckled grip on life.  I discovered that I was not driving anything in life, but that God was driving the entire time.  I like to use the analogy that I was in the back seat of the car, as a toddler would be, pretending I was driving the car with my "honk honk" seat.  I had that tight grip trying to steer life in the direction I wanted it to go. (notice all the I's) In reality, God was driving the entire time, looking in the rear-view mirror and probably chuckled, "He just doesn't get it yet".  During my time of trying to run, and there by slowly ruin, my life - God was always there, loving me and patiently waiting for me to call on Him.  Once I did, He was there and He still is there.  Whether I turn to "the right or to the left", God is always there for me. 


Somedays I still try to drive the car from the "honk honk" seat, but those days don't work out so well.  When I turn to Him, and listen to the "way" and "walk in it", my days go so much better.  So my mantra today is to walk with Him "one day at a time".  


If you are struggling and feel like nothing you do is working, or feel as though every turn you make leads to a dead end, turn to God.  He is there and has been there for you always.  Just like I felt when I was running the show, you may not feel that way. That may be because He asks us to do our part.  He gave us free will, so we need to make that decision to cry out to Him.  Once we do, God will come running towards us and give us peace, comfort and strength for Today.   And remember when you wake up tomorrow, make that decision again to seek Him and His will.  I have to do that on a daily basis so that I can "walk in" fellowship with Him.  

God bless you and keep you.  May you turn to Him in all areas of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment