Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Trudging the road

"It isn't about never making mistakes, it's about getting back up and moving forward toward the results."  -Jack Welch, former CEO of General Electric
 This morning, my devotional reading was Romans 3:21-31.   In that passage is the well-known verse "For all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God" - Romans 3:23.  As always, when I turn to God first thing in the morning, I get what I need to hear - many times not what I want to hear, but ALWAYS exactly what I need.   I have been struggling with some internal thoughts pertaining to my selfishness, self-centeredness and character defects.  The Bible says these self-centered (and thereby not God centered) thoughts and desires eventually will lead me to sin: 
"When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."  James 1:13-15
 My experience has been that this can take place anywhere and anytime: in the workplace, home and even at church.  This passage reminds me that I need to stay God-centered not self-centered.  When I read that and remember what Paul wrote in his epistle to the Romans, I am comforted - and do not feel isolated - in that ALL Christians go through struggles with sin and desire, just like I do.  The good news is that God has given us all a way out.  When I'm lost and need directions or I am stranded travelling in a foreign place, I ask for help.  Spiritually, I need to do the same thing.  I need to turn to Him, ask for help.  Jesus said he would send the "Helper" or the Holy Spirit to be with us before he ascended into heaven.  If I can call on God, he WILL help me. But it will be in His time.  So until God removes my character defects - which may never happen, Paul had his "thorn" all his life - I need to follow Jack Welch's advice of when I fall I get back up, dust myself off and continue to keep my eye on the prize - spending eternity with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I also have to remind myself that just because I'm saved and have received the gift of Salvation does not mean I've been completely sanctified of my old thoughts.  Sanctification is a process that takes time.

Today, I take refuge in Christ, in His death and resurrection.  Today, I ask the Holy Spirit to help me and guide me to be a shining light for God's Kingdom.  Today, I ask God to help me love Him with all my heart and to love my neighbors as myself.  Today, I am going to do the best I can with what I have, and hopefully, God will use me to help someone else.  

If you're struggling today, stop right now and pray, "Lord Jesus, I love you.  I want to be one of your followers, but I'm struggling.  You know what struggles I'm going through, as you experienced the same struggles yourself when you walked amongst men.  Relieve me of my selfishness and desires.  Please give me wisdom and strength to carry out your will.  Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins.  Change my heart and guide my steps.  I make my prayer in Jesus' name, Amen."

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment