Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Christmas Song Countdown: #28 Ave Maria by Josh Groban

Is Ave Maria (Latin for "Hail Mary") a true Christmas Song?  I always associate it with this time of year.  Perhaps it is because the first time I heard Celine Dion sing it on her Christmas Album in 1998 while driving to our honeymoon.  I almost used the Celine version for this, but I like the Josh Groban version a bit better.  I love hearing the verse with the boys choir in the background.  Many Christmas songs are very beautiful - I think partially to depict how beautiful that night Jesus was born - and this is one of them.  Think about it:  God loves US so much that HE sent His one and only Son to become flesh, dwell among us, live a perfect life, teach us, then pay the ulimate penalty for sin (death).  He knew no sin, but became sin for us so we can become the righteousness of God. (from John 3:16 and II Corinthians 5:21)

I hope you enjoy this as much as I have since I purchased Groban's Christmas album.

Ave Maria
sung by Josh Groban


1 comment: